Capital Tax Recovery

The City of Danbury has contracted with Capital Tax Recovery to address the issue of unregistered or vehicles registered out of state for residents of Danbury.  Capital Tax Recovery has began scanning license plates throughout the City to determine if all residents do indeed have their vehicles registered with the State of CT and have Danbury as their tax town.  

If you live in Danbury on or before October 1 of each year, your vehicles(s) should be registered in the City of Danbury. The City of Danbury should appear on your registration(s) as Tax Town Code 034. You have 90 days to transfer your vehicle once you have established residency in Connecticut.   Questions regarding registering your vehicle can be answered at Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles.

Failure to register your vehicle within allotted time frame may result in additional fees and fines.

If you receive a notice from Capital Tax Recovery YOU MUST CONTACT THEM DIRECTLY.  We do not have the information for why your vehicle was added in the Assessor's Office.  If you believe you were added in error you must provide Capital Tax Recovery with sufficient proof by the deadline on letter or a tax bill will be generated.

You may contact Capital Tax Recovery by phone at 860-826-1100 or by going to their website at:

If you wish to upload documentation you must upload to directly.

To report an out of state registration please email our office.  Please provide detailed information regarding vehicles and or owners.  We will keep ALL reports confidential.