I Received a Tax Bill for a Motor Vehicle I No Longer Have

The City of Danbury receives a listing of all vehicles registered in the City as of October 1st of every year. If you received a tax bill for a vehicle you are no longer in possession of, it is because the vehicle was still registered as of October 1st.  

If this vehicle was sold, totally damaged, stolen and not recovered, or removed and registered in another state you may be entitled to a credit off your tax bill.  You MUST cancel your CT registration to have your tax bill pro-rated. Link to DMV Registration Cancellation.  DMV DOES NOT notify the Assessor's Office if a registration has been cancelled.  YOU MUST provide proof of cancellation to the Assessor's Office directly.

In order to prorate a vehicle, TWO forms of documentation MUST be submitted to the Assessor's Office.  Please see acceptable Motor Vehicle Documentation and send to Assessor Email or Upload MV Documents.  No correction can be made unless TWO forms are submitted.

If you no longer have your vehicle but transferred your plates, you must pay the bill on your old vehicle in full.   In January you will receive a bill on your new vehicle, and the amount you overpaid on your previous will automatically be deducted from your new bill.  You will see this credit on your Supplemental Motor Vehicle tax bill.

Please note:  There are no prorations for the month of September.